Friday, April 22, 2011

Week 13 - Video Blog

The Power of Art


I chose this video because I feel that art can be very a powerful and emotional. I liked the opening statement “can art change your life?” This statement was true for Rothko because he became so absorbed in his work that he committed suicide. I also learned that Seagram had Rothko decorate their first headquarters building. This relates to the text because it further shows examples of abstract art and how it affected people’s human emotion.

Uncertainty: Modernity and Art

I chose this video because I wanted to learn more about why the video was titled as Uncertainty. This video explains how the time of modern art after the Industrial Revolution and how it represents current society. After this period of time, life changed forever. Art has moved from the margins of social life to the center. What makes modern art interesting is that it continues to evolve around modern society. Modernism was an issue that we read about in the book this week. It was nice to see some video footage of some art galleries and types of art they housed.



Andy Warhol: Images of an Image

I picked this video because I wanted to further my knowledge of Warhol. I knew that he was famous for the Campbell’s soup image however I wanted to see what other kinds of works he created. He started his work being employed by advertising companies and magazines. I was interested to learn that he also did work for Coca Cola. The series of Marilyn Monroe silkscreens he created were also interesting. His style of repeating the same image is evident in the majority of his works.

The Art of Henry Moore

I chose to watch this video because I never have heard of Henry Moore and wanted to see what kinds of works he created and if I could recognize any of them. It was evident that Moore loved art very much. He stated that he drew anywhere and anything. He focused on drawing animals, figures of people, and trees. The figure was always important to him as it was a representation of a living thing. He put a large focus on his education and attended two art schools. He enjoyed Mexican art and it formed his views of carving.

Each of the videos were very informational and expanded on the reading in the chapters we read. I really enjoyed the narration in the first video; he has been in other videos we have watched and has a good style. I enjoy seeing more examples of the types of works while having the video narrated. This has always been an easier style for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment